The Spationary was designed as a unique and reliable resource, easy to use, made available to international organizations and national public authorities, companies in the space sector, practitioners in international firms or legal and financial departments, as well as researchers, to help them in the development of texts, treaties or international contracts and guide them in the handling of evolving concepts and often difficult to access. It provides a comprehensive and up-to-date source of information on terminology in use and forms the basis of a universal vocabulary, integrating key business developments and major trends in technological developments. This educational tool can be used by anyone in the world and meets the needs of a large number of users.
The Spationary has several objectives:
- propose a synthesis of the legal vocabulary in use in the multiplicity of texts which now govern space activities (treaties, laws, regulations, resolutions, custom, contracts, agreements, etc.), as well as in a worldwide scientific production on space activities, called to become very abundant and multidisciplinary;
- to account for the continuous emergence of new concepts relating to space law and technology and to find a common meaning in them, transcending differences in cultures or approaches;
- allow the development of new dynamics in terms of commercialization and privatization in the space sector, by offering a common language and a few universal references;
- promote the emergence of new players and their diversity of approaches to space activities, overcoming the difficulty of different vocabularies and sometimes opposing conceptual references;
- to give words to the contemporary dynamism of space activities of space activities and to find links between the terminology used in the space sector and that used in terrestrial activities.
All of this requires a common understanding and terminology for all the people or institutions involved.
There are two possibilities to access the Spationary:
- The book format: the book renders a complete and granular description of each concept, which is duly contextualized. It provides for each concept, a summary of the meaning given to it and the main uses that are made of it as well as examples of use cases.
- Via online tool and website: it provides a basic search tool for precise definition or easy navigation. Up-to-date content is planned: Most Wanted Concepts Measurement to introduce concept examples and terms in more detail, and to study information search behavior in this area.